Garden fresh rhubarb and sweet ripe strawberries start to ripen in the spring in many locations. By summer, the garden is full of these two complimentary fruits that seem so suited for each other. Served warm with vanilla ice cream, this strawberry rhubarb pie is a favorite of young and old alike!
Using Fresh Rhubarb in a Pie
Pick or buy fresh rhubarb that looks clean and bright. Wilted rhubarb is no good and probably old and woody. Remove the leaves and discard, wash the rhubarb, pat dry and cut off the ends. Cut into 1″ chunks. There is no need to cut the strings off the rhubarb if it is to be baked in a pie.
Using Fresh Strawberries in a Pie
Buy or pick strawberries that are juicy and ripe without mold or rot. Remove the green leaves from the top, rinse and pat dry with paper towel. Cut large strawberries in half.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe
- Recipe for 9″ Double Crust Pie Crust (Use
The Best Pie Crust Recipe. This recipe makes enough for 4 crusts. Divide the recipe in half or freeze the extra crusts.)
- 2 cups (1 pint) fresh ripe strawberries, hulled, rinsed and cut if neccessary
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom or cinnamon, ground
- 2 Tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 Tablespoon milk or cream for brushing the top crust
- 1 Tablespoon sugar for dusting the crust
How To Make a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out the pie crust bottom and tops according to directions leaving enough overhang to fold underneath. Place the bottom pie crust evenly in a 9″ pie pan or ceramic pie dish and set aside. Fold the top crust in half and place a towel over it so it doesn’t dry out.
- Toss together gently in a large bowl; strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, flour and spices if desired.
- Fold into prepared pie crust and dot with cold butter.
- Choose either double crust or lattice crust and follow directions below.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling from vent holes. If the edges start to brown too quickly, place a piece of aluminum foil around the rim.
- Remove to cooling rack and let cool for an hour or more before slicing.
- Serve Strawberry Rhubarb Pie à la mode with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Makes 1 double crusted pie. Serves 8.
How To Make a Double Pie Crust:
- Unfold the top crust and place over the top of the fruit filling. Fold the edges of the top crust over and under the bottom edges and flute with fingertips. Likewise, the crust can also be sealed with the tines of a dinner fork.
- Brush the pastry crust with milk or cream and sprinkle evenly with sugar.
- Cut small decorative vent holes into the top crust using a knife or a very small cookie cutter.
Fresh Fruit Summer Pie Recipes:
Peach Pie Recipe – Traditional peach pie made with fresh peaches, also good served à la mode.
Fresh Blueberry Pie Recipe – Blueberry Pie baked in a flaky double crust with fresh picked blueberries.